Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Hong Kong, China, Macau Youth Conference

Every four years there is an international youth conference. This consists of all the LDS 14-18 year olds who live in Hong Kong, Macau, and China (Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzen, and a couple of other cities). I was hoping something like this would happen because I knew the 2 YW and one young man in our branch would really benefit from attending an event like this. I know how these conferences helped grow my testimony and faith in the gospel and our Savior. About three weeks before the conference was scheduled I received a message from the district presidency asking me to attend a special youth conference meeting. It was at this meeting I found out I would be in charge of the dance portion of the activities. I really thought my 2 young women would help me out since they would be able to pass off a value project. We decided the theme would be music through the decades, but mostly focused on the 70's-early 2000's. I thought this would be a fun theme so I started putting all of my thoughts together. 

When I went to youth conference dances I remember them being a little boring. Kids would not dance the entire time and some would even sit on the chairs against the wall. I really wanted to make this dance fun for everyone so I came up with some games and photo booth ideas.

80-90's photbooth backdrop. Kade enjoyed flicking the paint with me for this one.


 Cam was an adorable model for it!


Skeeball game.


Start of the Pac-Man decorations.


Photo booth props



Kyle modeled these for me. Another handsome model!




60-70's backdrop made from vinyl tablecloths.


Ballon ping pong and life size SCRABBLE.


Life size Pac Man.



This is the furthest north I have been in Hong Kong. The MTR ride was really long. I was able to see a little bit more of Hong Kong through the MTR windows when the train was above ground. It really is a beautiful city and very green. To arrive at my final destination I had to take a green taxi, not a red one. Because I had the Chinese translation the taxi driver knew exactly where to take me.


Here is the bed and part of the room I stayed in. Definitely not like the hotels we stayed in but it was comfortable. I am glad I brought my own blanket. When I arrived there was only one other lady there. She quickly put me to work putting the name tags together for all the different groups. That night they had yummy spaghetti dinner and played get to know you games. All of the youth quickly settled into their rooms and were mostly excited to be a the youth conference.


The next morning was performing baptisms for the dead and also rotation of classes. There were four different classes: Joseph Smith, missionary work, music of the gospel, and applying the gospel in real life. I taught the last class. I am sure the class wasn't the best, but what I really hope the youth took away from it was that our choices on a daily basis do matter. Our daily choices help us to either stay on the straight and narrow path or fall off. We are choosing who we follow on a daily basis by how we spend our time and what we prioritize.

After the rotations were over we enjoyed another yummy lunch, rice and chicken. Then we headed back to the buses to head back to Community Sports. Once we arrived they had a few minutes of relaxation and they all played a game of "Amazing Race". For dinner there a BBQ. It was delicious! However I did had to leave early because I needed to set up for the dance.

Decorations for the dance.  They looked better when it was dark and the disco lights were on.




At the dance.





All of the girls who stayed in the room with me.



While we were at the church we saw one of the sister missionaries who served in Macau for a little bit. Sister Perez is the one second from the left. Roxette is on the far right. She was in YW when I first met her until last May. Now she is in the process of turning her mission papers in.


I must admit at the end of the dance I was really bummed nobody played that games I made. I went through all of that work and time. However, seeing how out of almost 100 youth not one sat down was really great to see. Every single one of them was up dancing and having a really fun time. Brother Victory and I are confidant that even though this portion of the conference wasn't the most spiritual, it was definitely one of the most fun parts of conference. After everyone went to their rooms one of the girls thanked me for all of the decorations and having a theme. She went on to tell me that for the past three conferences no one had put that much work into making the dance memorable. She said she was grateful this one was her last youth conference dance. That seriously made my night and all of the work worth every effort!

On Sunday we went to church at the Wan Chai temple. As we were driving up to it I was amazed that this is the building. The inside is as beautiful as the outside. I ran into Joe's parents again. They attend one of the Chinese branches that meets there. I really enjoyed attending sacrament in an actual chapel. There were many children in attendance It was so nice to notice how other parents try to keep their kids quiet. Other than one or two kids coming every now and then our boys are the only children in our branch primary. This was also the first time in about a year I went to a Sunday School lesson. In Macau we have Gospel Home study lessons at home on Sunday mornings with just our family . Afterwards we separated into groups again. One group staged at the Wan Chai building and our group and one other traveled over to an different building.


 Pictures on the street of the church building.




These are pictures from the other church building. This building reminded me a lot more of church in Macau, but they have multiple floors, not just two. All of the youth needed to help cook dinner for all of the Filipina sisters who work as helpers. When dinner came they had to sit by a sister and not another youth. Many of the youth were really humbled by learning about what many of these sisters have to go through and what they are sacrifing to help their families. I am grateful for these sister and their humility. In Macau when I am around the moms at school I can get really caught up in the best vacations and some of the luxuries of living in Macau as an expat. But then I go to church and see these sisters who are not living the life they really want, they don't get to go an fancy vacations. Their employer usually treats them like crap and they are paid very little. Each day I am incredibly grateful for my life and all of the blessings Heavenly Father has given me. I know He expects me to use these blessings to help others in the best way we can.

After the service project we traveled back to the Wan Chai building for testimony meeting. I was in awe by the testimonies born. These youth, many of them being the only members at their school, are incredibly strong. This is where we have hope in the future of the world is in the youth who have unwavering faith and hope in the gospel of Jesus Christ.




All the youth and leaders who attended youth conference.


Lastly I want to add, a few of the youth who came had never met a missionary. There was young man who came who isn't a member. I heard the missionaries taught him most of the discussions Saturday morning while the rotations were going on. One of the things I really noticed is how easily we take for granted many of the blessings we have in the states. I am grateful we have missionaries in Macau. 

Overall I am so grateful I was able to be part of this conference. Being around the youth is helping my confidence in my own testimony, how to teach the gospel, and what I really want the boys to know as they grow older. My biggest hope for them is that they will have an unwavering faith in the gospel and have the courage to stand up for what they believe, regardless of the consequences. I know if they do Heavenly Father will bless them more than they can imagine.  



No comments:

Post a Comment